Regularly checking your roof is essential to help prevent unnecessary repairs or replacements. In real terms, these regular checks can extend the life of your roof from 13 years to 25 years and reduce the cost of repairs and replacements by 45% – well worth a bi-annual maintenance check.
- Signs of leaking – dark stains, discoloration, cracking. (It’s worth noting that the point of damage may not directly point to the location of the leak, water tends to flow to the point of least resistance, which isn’t always near the initial problem)
- Mould, mildew and rot – this can be an indicator of severe structural problems caused by overlooked leaking, so it is essential that you also check the rafter and roof trusses as well
- Weather damage – heavy snow build-up, ice damming
- Buckled, cracked, deformed or missing shingles
- Flashing – Cracked caulk, rust spots, improperly placed, loose, visible mould, open joints
- Roof rot
- Moss or lichen (black algae stains are nothing to worry about)
- Cracked and worn rubber boots around the vent pipes
- Missing or damaged chimney
- Gutters – broken or blocked gutters, excessive leaves or shingle granules (a sign that the shingle on the roof is degrading)
- External Roof Additions – e.g. pipes, satellites, air conditioner units. These all must be checked to ensure that they have not caused excessive wear to the roof
Contact us for more information on the planned maintenance services msl provide.